If your worker’s employment is ending (end of contract or termination), you will be required to complete a Check Out Memo at Immigration to remove their employment records from you. The Check Out Memo is only effective if your worker leaves the country as planned. If your worker fails to board her intended flight and continues overstaying in Malaysia without justifiable reasons, you will be penalised as the legal employer.
Failure to do a timely Check Out Memo will also result in a penalty, especially when you want to hire another worker. A worker who left the country without a Check Out Memo may be blacklisted from returning to Malaysia.
Some good news is that the Malaysian Immigration department now allows employers of domestic helpers to apply for their helpers’ Check Out Memos online!
This can be done on their ePLKS@JIM online platform.
Here’s how to do it:
- Visit ePLKS@JIM via this link
- If you do not already have an ePLKS User ID and Password, click “Pendaftaran” on the top header to begin your registration process
- Be sure to click ‘Permohonon Baru (Pembantu Rumah)’ instead of ‘Permohonan Baru (Pelbagai Sektor)’ to begin your registration
- You will be prompted to key in your IC number*. Please do so without including any dashes
- Once successfully entering the system with your User ID and Password, you will be required to upload proof of your domestic helper’s flight itinerary home
- Your helper’s e-Check out Memo should be emailed to you within 5 business days
*If your name does not appear on the system after keying in your IC number, you will need to visit the Malaysian Immigration office over-the-counter to update or align your records with their backend system.
Here are some things to note:
- Your helper’s flight date must be before her current work permit expires. Otherwise, you will need to apply for a Special Pass for your helper before applying for her Check Out Memo.
- Start the process within 1 month of your helper’s intended return travel date to provide sufficient time in case any complications arise.
- If your helper’s flight home is constantly being rescheduled or cancelled due to Covid restrictions, do not worry: Once you’ve successfully obtained a Check Out Memo for your helper, she will be permitted by Immigration to exit Malaysia legally even if her work permit expires before her final travel date. There is no need to renew her Check Out Memo, as Immigration airport authorities will assist your helper in reconciling the overstayed time period at her point of exit. To be safe, kindly ensure that your helper has copies of her cancelled flight itineraries on hand at the airport.
Note that e-COM is only allowed for Check Out Memo procedures relating to helpers returning home legally at the end of their employment. If you intend to do a Check Out Memo to clear a previous worker’s name from your Immigration records who did not leave her employment legally, you’ll still need to visit Immigration in person to apply for her Check Out Memo over-the-counter and pay a penalty fee. This applies to instances where a helper absconds or leaves the country with a valid permit but does not return, for example.
Have more questions or don’t have time to do this yourself? Kindly contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Our Services page. Our friendly Pinkcollar officers will be happy to walk you through the process and share our service offerings with you!