Can my helper re-enter Malaysia after her holiday during Covid-19 times?

As an employer of a foreign domestic helper or maid in Malaysia, your helper may request to take a short vacation to her home country and visit her loved ones, especially if she has been employed by your family for an extended period of time.

You might be wondering whether your helper can travel out of the country and be permitted re-entry now during the pandemic. If your foreign domestic helper or maid has a valid domestic helper visa/ permit (Pas Lawatan Kerja Sementara/PLKS), she can travel back to her home country and re-enter Malaysia at the end of her vacation under current Immigration guidelines so long as her work permit is still valid upon re-entry.

Here’s how to apply for your worker’s re-entry into Malaysia:

  1. Apply for your worker’s entry to Malaysia through the government’s border entry system (MyTravelPass for Malaysian employers and MyEntry for expatriate employers)
  2. After obtaining approval from the relevant authorities through the respective border entry systems, you may proceed to book your helper’s flight ticket back to Malaysia.
  3. Arrange and make payment for your helper’s on-arrival quarantine through MySafeTravel

If you are currently an employer of a Filipino domestic helper, here are additional steps your helper must undertake before her flight to Malaysia:– 

  1. Apply for her Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) and present a printed copy of the certificate to the Philippine airport authorities – this process takes no more than 1 week. If you would like to do this ahead of time, this can be done at the Philippines Embassy in Malaysia prior to your helper leaving Malaysia for her vacation. Kindly refer to this website for more details.
  2. Undergo Covid-19 RT-PCR testing and receive a negative Covid-19 result no more than 72 hours (3 days) before her flight. She will need to bring the original and printed test results to the airport with her too.
  3. Present a printed copy of her valid Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) Employment Contract to the Philippine airport authorities.  

Here are some things to look out for before you and your helper plan her vacation leave and timeline:

  1. Check the expiry date of her domestic helper work permit.
  2. Check the expiry date of her employment contract. For Filipino helpers, this refers to the POEA contract.
  3. Check the expiry of her passport.
  4. Ensure that all of the expiry dates do not fall within the period of your helper’s exit and re-entry into Malaysia.
  5. If any of these documents are expiring soon, it may be worth renewing them before her travel. You may refer to our post on renewing your helper’s POEA contract and on renewing her domestic helper work permit for further information.
  6. Check for any embassy-specific requirements, guidelines and/or travel advisories based on your helper’s nationality.

Have more questions? Pinkcollar is more than happy to guide you through our process. Kindly contact us at or visit our Our Services page. Our friendly Pinkcollar officers are ready to share our service offerings with you!