When and How Should I Apply for A Special Pass?

If your worker’s permit renewal deadline slipped your mind or you need additional time to comply with the requirements of her permit renewal, you may opt to apply for a special pass to extend your worker’s work permits beyond their existing permit. During Covid-19 times, the Special Pass Service is also popular to help workers remain legal in Malaysia while travel restrictions are in place.

The special pass is a temporary visa for workers to legally stay in Malaysia for another 30 days if, say, the employer needs additional time to complete some processes such as to renew the work permit, to arrange for her to go home, or if there’s a FOMEMA or passport issue, etc.

Malaysian Employers

If you’re a Malaysian employer, you can now apply for your worker’s special pass online at ePLKS@JIM online platform.

Here’s how to do it:

  1. Visit ePLKS@JIM via this link.
  2. If you do not already have an ePLKS User ID and Password, click “Pendaftaran” on the top header to begin your registration process.
  3. Be sure to click ‘Permohonon Baru (Pembantu Rumah)’ instead of ‘Permohonan Baru (Pelbagai Sektor)’ to begin your registration.
  4. You will be prompted to key in your IC number*. Please do so without including any dashes. You should receive a confirmation email from “lanjutan_eplks@imi.gov.my” with your login password.
  5. Once you have successfully logged in to your e-PLKS account, click on the tab ‘Permohonan Lanjutan PRA’ and fill in the information as required. Your worker’s information should appear below and you may click on the ‘ESP’ button.
  6. Your helper’s special pass will be processed within 1-2 working days and you may check the status under the “Status Permohonan SP” tab.
  7. After you’ve gotten the approval, you may make payment under the same “Status Permohonan SP” tab.

*If your name does not appear on the system after keying in your IC number while you register for an e-PLKS account, you will need to visit the Malaysian Immigration office over-the-counter to update or align your records with their backend system.

Malaysian employers may also apply for their helper’s special pass over-the-counter and it will be issued on the same day (as a paper slip that is clipped to the worker’s passport) if e-SP is not possible.

Expatriate Employers

For expatriate employers, you can proceed to apply for your helper’s special pass over-the-counter at the Expatriate Services Division after obtaining an appointment through sto.imi.gov.my. The legal employer must attend at the Expatriate Services Division him/herself; please bring along the legal employer’s and worker’s original passport. The special pass will be released the next day and can be picked up at the Expatriate Services Division.

Here are some things to note:

  1. A special pass can only be applied after your helper’s work permit has expired.
  2. The special pass will cost RM100 for both e-SP and over-the-counter application.

If you have troubles navigating through the online system or require Immigration attendance, Pinkcollar can assist you in obtaining your helper’s special pass for you. Contact us at hello@hirepinkcollar.com or visit our Our Services page. Our friendly Pinkcollar officers are ready to share our service offerings with you!



Typically replies within an hour

Thank you for messaging Pinkcollar! It is currently outside of business hours. Please leave us a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.


Greetings from Pinkcollar!

How can we help you today?

WhatsApp Message us on WhatsApp